Sun-Mar: Use and Maintenance
Sun-Mar Initial Start-Up
The following is general instructions for starting up your compost mix of your Sun-Mar toilet. To begin use of the Sun-Mar Unit you need to do the start up procedure and then follow through on ongoing toilet maintenance routine. It usually takes about six weeks before a compost is properly established.
Getting your Sun-Mar Compost Start UP:
- Speeds start up of compost by acting as a catalyst to assist bacteria.
- Prevents possibility of start up odor in evaporation chamber
How do you know when your Sun-Mar Compost is properly established?
- Compost volume increases more slowly
- Compost turns black and becomes loam like (like a fertile soil made of sand, clay, and water)
- The toilet paper decomposes within a few days.
Now your Sun-Mar Toilet is ready to be used like a regular toilet.
Sun-Mar Daily/Regular Maintenance
Daily: Add compost bulking material at rate of cupful per person per day.
- Maintains the carbon/nitrogen balance
- Absorbs liquid
- Helps oxygen penetrate for aerobic composting
Rotate the Drum
- mixes and oxygenates the composts
Emptying the Sun-Mar Toilet
When do you need to empty the Sun Mar toilet: Empty the toilet when the drum is 1/2 to 2/3 full. 2/3 full means the compost reaches about 2-3 inches below the drum door when the door is open.
How to empty the Sun-Mar toilet: To empty the compost in the drawer, pull the drum locker button and rotate the handle counter-clockwise. Turn at the same speed you would normally for mixing. If needed, use the rake to level the compost in the drawer. If there is not enough compost in the drawer, turn the handle clockwise again for 1 rotation.
Now leave the compost in the finishing drawer for 3-4 weeks or until you need to remove compost from the drum.
Why do you need to empty the Sun-Mar Toilet?
- It moves some compost to the next stage for finishing
- Ensures that the drum does not get too full
- Provides extra time for the composting to be completed
Part-Time use Sun-Mar Maintenance:
Unplug the unit if you are planning to leave your Sun-Mar for more than a few days. If you are just using the toilet for just the weekends, then you may unplug the toilet.
Consider installing a timer to shut the unit off after 48 hours to evaporate excess liquid. If you are leaving for a period of more than a few days, or the compost appears dry, add about 1/2 gallon of warm water before leaving to keep the compost moist.
Why do you need to unplug the Sun-Mar when you aren't using it?
- Helps conserve power
- Keeps compost from drying
- Additional water helps keep the compost moist
|Sun-Mar Centrex 1000|
|Sun-Mar Mobile||Sun-Mar Centrex 2000|
|Sun-Mar Excel||Sun-Mar Centrex 3000|
Leave a comment